Frequently Asked Questions

How often do I get paid?

You receive payment once a month, usually at the end of the month.

How much is the hourly wage?

The hourly wage for on campus work-study is $9.00.

Does the federal work-study go to me or my tuition?

It depends. If you use your work-study payments to help you validate in a given semester, it will go towards your account balance. If you do not have a balance, your work-study payment will not go towards your tuition and you will get a paycheck.

What if I signed a federal work-study promissory note for only a portion of my work-study award?

Once you have met your financial obligation in the Business Office and have paid your balance, you are entitled to receive a paycheck for the difference for actual hours worked.

Do I automatically get the award or do I have to actually work it?

It is a job therefore you have to work. You do not automatically get the award unless you report to work when scheduled.

Can I get paid while I’m in class?

No. You cannot get paid while you are in class.

Can I work if my professor cancels class for the day/week or if my class is dismissed early?

No. If you have a scheduled time which is reflected on your class schedule and the professor cancels/dismisses class early, we suggest that you go to the library or to your dorm room to study until your scheduled work time. You cannot work when you are supposed to be in class.

If I am scheduled for an online class from 9-5 can I work during my lunch break?

Please see the Federal Work-Study Coordinator.

What are my job duties?

Your job duties vary and will depend upon where you are working and job description your supervisor has provided for you.

What is Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a need-based federal financial aid program, which provides jobs for undergraduate students. This program allows students to earn money to help pay education expenses. Eligible students may earn FWS funds by working with approved FWS employers. The program provides students with valuable employment opportunities and income to use for educational and living expenses incurred throughout the year. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study. Students may also exclude FWS earnings on the following year’s financial aid application.

Students, in most cases, may choose which job they want to apply for and the employer chooses which students they want to hire. As long as the student remains eligible for FWS, he or she may continue his or her employment with the same department or explore opportunities with other departments. Students may work up to 30 hours per week while classes are in session, however, students’ FWS earnings cannot exceed their FWS award, which is reflected on their award letter.

Why do you get paid more to work off-campus than on-campus?

We pay students who work off-campus more as an incentive. If you are interested in working off-campus, please contact the Federal Work-Study Coordinator.

How can I get Federal Work-Study?

Students must reapply each year for the FAFSA and Work-Study Program. Students are not automatically enrolled and eligibility one year does not necessarily indicate eligibility for the next. Please be advised that both work study and SEOG are incentives for those students who file their FAFSA paperwork on time.

At JCSU, in order to be considered for work-study, you must complete and mail your FAFSA to the processing Center 1-800-4-FED-AID, which takes approximately 4-6 weeks to process (or complete online). If completing online, both student and parent must have their individual pin number to successfully complete.

You must also submit a copy of your parent’s signed federal income tax returns and a current verification worksheet to the Financial Aid Office no later than March 1 of each year. Feel free to fax your paperwork to us at (704) 378-1292. (Be sure to attach a cover page with your name and id number with any and all paperwork being faxed.)

If your FAFSA is invalid or not calculated, additional paperwork may be needed and must also be submitted by March 1st. It is important to read your Student Aid Report (SAR)! Your SAR summarizes all of the information reported on your FAFSA. It will tell you if your SAR is invalid/not calculated or if you are selected for verification.

Do not wait for the Financial Aid Office inform you that you have been selected for verification or that your SAR is invalid! If you are not sure, ask. Failure to read your SAR may cost you valuable time, and you may not receiving Work-Study or SEOG. If your paperwork is submitted after our March 1 deadline, there is a good chance you will not receive work-study for the entire school year (work-study is awarded based on availability of funds so the earlier you apply, the better your chances).

If I don’t have it in the fall semester can I get it in the spring semester?

No. Work-study is awarded on a yearly basis. If you don’t have it in the fall, you cannot be awarded work-study in the spring.

Where do I pick up my federal work-study check?

You can pick up your check from the cashier in Biddle Hall, which is located in the Business Office (Financial Affairs Office). You will need a picture ID to pick up your check.

Do I get a receipt if I sign my work-study to my account every month?

If you signed a work-study promissory note to validate, a pay stub will be made available to you and the money will automatically post to your account balance.

How can I get off-campus federal work-study?

If you are interested in working off campus, please contact the Federal Work-Study Coordinator, as positions are limited. In some cases you may need a car to get to the work site.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

No. You cannot work over 30 hours per week, however, you cannot exceed your work-study award.

How many pay periods are in a semester?

Generally, there are four pay periods each semester.

Is work-study available in the summer?

You would need to ask the Financial Aid Office at the beginning of summer school to check to see if funds are available.

What employment forms are needed to get paid for federal work-study?

Once a student accepts a job, the employer must collect the following documents from the student:

Both the student and the supervisor should complete the work-study contract and keep a copy for their records. Make sure that all forms reflect your permanent home address and not your JCSU school address.

What happens if I get released/terminated from my work-study job?

If you get released or terminated from your work-study job, your work study is automatically cancelled and cannot be reinstated. If you used the award to validate, you will have to pay out-of-pocket to cover the difference.

What if I can’t find my supervisor to sign my work-study packet?

If you cannot find your supervisor to sign your contract within 24-48 hours, you must inform the Federal Work-Study Coordinator immediately. You may strongly want to consider changing work-study jobs.

How do I know if the money actually went to my account?

You can check to see if your work-study payment posted to your account by checking your balance online.

What if my work/class schedule clashes with my supervisor’s work schedule?

If there is a conflict with your work schedule, you must communicate that to your supervisor! If within the next 24-48 hours and after communicating to your supervisor that you still are not getting enough hours, you must inform the Work-Study Coordinator immediately. It is imperative that you earn all of the money that was awarded to you, especially if your work-study earnings are being applied to your account balance.

If I don’t earn all of the money awarded to me in a semester, will I have a balance?

There several scenarios here. If you signed a promissory note in the beginning of the semester and promised that you would use your work study award to pay the balance, but don’t work enough hours to earn the allotted award, you will have a balance. You cannot get an exam permit or take your finals until this balance is paid in full. In the fall semester, if you don’t earn all of your work-study award, in most cases, the award carries over to the spring semester (you can work more hours in the spring). In the spring semester, if you have not earned your allotted award by the final pay period, you will lose the difference of the work-study amount awarded minus what was actually worked.

How does the Financial Aid Office decide how much I am awarded?

The JCSU Financial Aid Office determines how much to award students on a yearly basis.

If I have a balance at the end of the semester and am owed a paycheck, will I be cleared for exams?

If your final time sheet is submitted right before finals, it is in your best interest to keep a copy of your time sheet. This is your proof for the Business Office that you did work and that this final payment will be applied to your account.

How do I know when I have exceeded my award for the semester/year?

The student and supervisor are solely responsible for keeping track of how many hours the student has worked every pay period. We suggest you make a copy on a monthly basis of your time sheet and keep for your records. You can also refer to your pay stub. If the money goes to your account monthly, you can go online and check the account balance to view the applied amounts to your account. If you exceed your allotted award for the year, you will not be paid for the difference.

How did I qualify for federal work-study?

Your FAFSA was completed in a timely manner and your verification process was completed by the JCSU Financial Aid Office on or before our March 1 deadline.

What if I don’t want federal work-study in the fall? Can I cancel it and have it in the spring semester?

No. Once you cancel your work-study in the fall semester, it cannot be reinstated.